Sunday, April 5, 2015

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette Review

imageimage
“A palette featuring three shades of Ambient Lighting Powder, the high-tech, soft-focus finishing powder that recreates the most exquisitely flattering types of light. 
Ambient Lighting Powder is a groundbreaking collection of finishing powders that capture, diffuse, and soften the way light reflects on skin. Unlike traditional powders, which merely cloak imperfections, Ambient Lighting Powder utilizes photoluminescent technology to filter out harsh light and refine the appearance of the complexion. The powders deliver a multidimensional luminescence to every skintone, making it appear softer and lit from within. The finishing powders enhance skin in any type of light, including flash photography. With three universal shades available in the Ambient palette, you can create any desired effect.”


The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette contains Dim Light, Radiant Light, and Incandescent Light (limited edition to the palette). The powders are finishing powders aka setting powders. Within the palette:
  • Dim Light: A neutral soft beige that provides a perfect balance of warm and cool tones to blur imperfections.
  • Incandescent Light: An opalescent pearl powder that brightens the complexion with a celestial glow. (exclusive to the palette)
  • Radiant Light: A sun-kissed golden beige that enhances the overall complexion with believable, subtle warmth.
  • I have a previous post talking about the powders *click*, describing the finish of the other powders.
image
(no flash / directly in sun)
image
(no flash / inside a room)
image
(flash)
In the palette (dim, incandescent, and radiant) if you swatch them you can see they have two different “finishes”. Dim is a sheen while Incandescant / Radiant have a light shimmer.  
Ethereal, Diffused, Mood, and Dim all have the sheen while Luminous, Radiant, and Incandescent (LE) have the subtle shimmer. *Incandescent is more shimmery than Luminous, it’s quite the odd ball compared to the normal line up.* I think a lot of people only own the palette which has 2 of the shimmery shades so they think they all have that “shimmer” highlighter look. In all actuality a majority of the shades in the permanent line up are not like that but are more like Dim (4:2). 
Okay now that I have described the finish lets get into the other information. As you can see in the pictures, If you’re going to be photographed…. wear these powders. Seriously I have no words for how fantastic these look when you’re being photographed. They don’t look cake-y, give you a glow, and blur imperfections. These don’t emphasis pores either. I think you can also see that while in a room if gives you a lovely natural glow. It really does what it says. While in crappy lighting if gives you that radiant, dim, and incandescent lighting. 
The powders are finely milled and very smooth. I love that the powders give a nice glow to the skin while keeping you matte. These are perfect for dry skin who want to powder their face. If you’re oily and want a matte look you might not like these powders. Yet I know some oily girls and boys want to glow so you could totally use these regardless. I think they are really nice for setting under your eyes even if you have oily skin usually want a matte look. These are perfect for brightening up that area. Plus they aren’t as shimmery as the MAC Shaping Powders (the ones like Dim listed above). I do like using this as an all over setting powder (oily skin). But I have only had this palette during fall / winter. In the summer I think I will only be using this under the eyes. 
As for this actual palette….slightly disappointing! Incandescent is a nice brightening powder because of the pink-y tone. Dim and Radiant are too dark for me. I’ve used Dim to set my entire face before and it’s darker than my foundation. I’ve only used Radiant when mixed with other shades. This palette is one of those typical palettes made for light-medium skin tones. I do think deeper skin tones could get some use with this palette though. Formula wise I’m super impressed though. I recommend buying them individually if you’re fair or a deeper complexion. (Unless you’re dying to get Incandescent.)
  • Would you re-buy this product? Palette: No. / Single powder: Yes.
  • How many stars? Palette: 3.5 out of 5 / Actual product: 5 out of 5
  • Who would you recommend this product for? Light-Medium complexions will get the most use out of the palette. 
  • Overall thoughts? I love these powders. The formula is light weight, glowy, finely milled, and just perfect. I know what you’re thinking though, why give it a low rating then. *sighs* I hate being paler. While I love this palette these shades aren’t the best for my skin tone. Plus why did they put 2 shimmer shades in the palette? I will never understand that since the regular powders are like Dim. I’ve said this before but it confuses people. Most people think the product is meant to be a highlighter because the palette has 2 of 3 shimmer shades in the entire collection. 5 in the collection are a sheen like Dim. Regardless I love these powders. I’m so happy my friend gave me this as a gift!
  • Price? $58
  • Last Comments? BUY THESE POWDERS. They are fantastic. While I don’t completely agree that all the shades are universal if you find one for your skin tone (not too dark, not too light) get it. You will not be disappointed. 
Have you tried the Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette or the individual ones? Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment